Ever since its launch in version 3.6, we’ve been thrilled with your response to License Statistics ’ ability to import log files. Just in case some of you haven’t discovered it yet: this feature lets you import and review log files from a number of license servers, including:
- LM-X extended log files denied requests and pay-per-use log
- FLEXlm/FlexNet denied request logs and encrypted report log files
- Reprise License Manager (RLM) denied request and report log files
- HASP license manager logs
How does it work and how can I benefit from it?
The obvious question you may want to ask is: “What’s in it for me?” Well, License Statistics imported usage reporting is especially useful when you need to reliably generate usage statistics for applications that run for a very brief period of time (such as compilers), and when you must havemaximum accuracyin the produced results.
Imported usage lets you import and review log files from a number of license servers, and is different from gathering realtime usage data in that realtime usage reporting refers to gathering realtime data and usage statistics from the license server at configurable time intervals, wheras imported usage reporting lets you gather all the existing information stored in the log files.
With imported usage, License Statistics doesn’t need to query the license server, so it doesn’t matter if the querying session started and stopped between two subsequent update intervals. Thus, logs record information about all activities no matter how long those activities lasted.
Since imported usage reporting doesn’t require a connection to the license server, it can be used for:
- Billing purposes, where the license servers are at the customer’s site and License Statistics software is at the vendor’s site, making this feature especially helpful for companies that do back-billing or pay-per-use billing.
- Analyzing datafromremote license serversin departments that run on separate networks.
Imported usage is another License Statistics feature that will help you unlock the doors to license optimization, letting you make sensible business decisions and allowing your company to save time and money.
We’d love to know what you think of our products so drop us a line .